Craigentinny & Telferton Allotments - History and Timeline

1923 - Established by local man on land rented from Edinburgh Corporation Electricity Service. Association named, committee formed, and constitution established.

 

1925 - Bank account opened for association

 

1931 - Sale of vegetables to raise funds for Royal Infirmary Extension Appeal

 

1931 - Provision of plots to unemployed, rents waived

 

1932 - Benevolent Fund set up to give financial assistance to unemployed members for supplies and seeds

 

1934 - 10 members receive grants from Benevolent Fund

 

1939 - Yearly tenancy for site preferred, rather than Council ownership

 

1946 - Post war government and local authorities actively encourage allotments

 

1948 - Site now owned by British Electricity Authority

 

1948 - Council intervenes to cancel quit notices received by plot holders

 

1949 - Committee discusses the benefits of organic growing

 

1955 - Become members of FEDAGA

 

1967 - Site now owned by South of Scotland Electricity Board

 

1975 - Annual fees set at 30p per plot with discount for pensioners

 

1978 - Waiting list increases prompting discussions on restricting allocation of plots to those living locally

 

1982 - Scottish Development Agency (SDA) take over the ownership of site

 

1982 - Fees increase from £1.10 to £9 to cover annual rent of £400 to SDA

 

1987 - Allotments granted further lease of 5 years by SDA

 

1990 - VAT charged on rent

 

1992 - Land sold to Caledonian Land

 

1992 - Caledonian Land lease land for 3 years at yearly cost of £800 + £250 management fee + vat

 

1995 - Termination notice given, after intervention from local MP further lease granted till Nov 1996

 

1997 - CEC first meetings with plotholders to discuss purchasing the site

 

1997 - Rents paid to Caledonian Land and lease extended to November

 

1997 - Land sold to Bett Homes (Gladedale Ltd)

 

1998 - Planning application submitted by Bett Homes refused by CEC

 

1999 - Appeal to Scottish Reporter finds in favour of retaining site as allotments

 

2000 - Council make offer to purchase site for £75,000 which is declined

 

2000 - Two plot holders, Kirsty and Paul, get married on their plot

 

2003 - CEC still involved in negotiations with land owner to purchase site

 

2007 - Gladedale’s application to CEC to have the site’s designated allocation as allotments changed for housing development is refused

 

2009 - Appeal to Scottish Reporter finds in favour of allotments

 

2010 - Craigentinny & Telferton Allotments becomes a registered charity and limited company

 

2013 - Avant Homes (Gladedale) applies to City of Edinburgh Council for removal of designated open space protection in proposed LDP

 

2014 - Avant Homes meet with committee to view site

 

2015 - June CEC reaffirm protected open space designation and LDP is sent to Scottish Reporter for examination

 

2015 - Consultation is held with plot holders and local residents to gather views on future of site

 

2015 - Certificate of Lawfulness awarded by CEC recognising established use of site as allotments under planning law

 

2016 - City of Edinburgh Council refuses Avant Homes' planning application, recognising the site is more valuable to the community as allotments and open space